Fortunately, community is something Greeks and Americans have also shared in moments of joy. In times of celebration, we dance together as in this Easter photograph where we see R. Stillwell, A. Stillwell, D.S. Bakoulis, P. Dolias, O. Broneer, and E. Lekkas joining hands in a kalamatiano.
The occasion of the dedication of the Corinth Museum on 29 April 1934 was shared by the whole community. The Greek Prime Minister Panagis Tsaldaris received the building from W. Rodman Peabody, Chairman of the Trustees of the ASCSA
The ASCSA built the museum in 1931-2 with an addition in 1950 to house the finds of the excavations. The museum's designs were made by architect W. Stuart Thompson, whose New York office was used by Frank Lloyd Wright. The building combines the principles of modernism with historicism in architecture. The inner atrium with its arched openings evokes memories of Byzantine monasteries. The architect's goal was to create a building commensurate with the objects that were to be housed in its premises. At the museum's inauguration ceremony, the then Prime Minister of Greece, Panagis Tsaldaris, accepted the donation of the building from W. Rodman Peabody, Chairman of the American School's Board of Trustees, in the presence of the donor, Ada Small Moore. Moore donated the building in memory of her father, who loved the culture of Greece, as stated in the dedicatory inscription in the museum's vestibule. For her donation, the Greek State awarded Moore the Golden Cross of the Order of the Saviour and declared her an honorary citizen of the Municipality of Corinth. The ceremony of the dedication was attended by many people, archaeologists and locals alike. This museum, which has been in operation for over 91 years, continues to serve the needs of the broader archaeological landscape that is today Ancient Corinth. The need for a new Museum is severely felt by all of us working and living in Ancient Corinth as well as by the over 200,000 tourists who visit the site every year.
Dedication of Museum, 29 April 1934: Prime Minister Panagis Tsaldaris received the building from W. Rodman Peabody, Chairman of the Trustees of the ASCSA
test
Corinth Museum during WW II